Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Good Morning, It's a Beautiful Winter Day

Happy 2012 & Welcome to the new semester at UIS! Thanks for stopping by and reading my first post to the Chancellor’s Blog. As some of you may have heard during my open forums, I told a story about my 3-year-old granddaughter’s “Good Morning” song. The shortened version of this story is that my daughter was rushing to get her 3 children into the car and hoping to get little Abigail to pre-school on time. But Abigail told her mom to wait a minute, because she had to sing her “Good Morning” song. Granted it’s hard to be agitated when you hear a 3-year-old burst into song, “Good Morning, Good Morning. It’s a beautiful day. I wonder what we’re going to do today.” There are days you may feel rushed or frustrated, but sometimes you just have to stop and take a deep breath and soak in the beautiful surroundings. When I drive into campus, I still think about how lucky I am to serve as your Chancellor. We have such a beautiful campus and great people that go along with it. Not only does it make for a great morning and a great day, but what a wonderful thing we have going here at UIS.

I am hoping to share some observations and experiences with you on this blog. I plan on making a post or two every week, and give you a little slice of my thoughts, that you might not normally get a chance to see from a chancellor. Come back and visit!