Thursday, October 24, 2013

Halloween is coming

It seems as if Halloween is becoming a more and more visible holiday throughout the U.S. I'm sure students at UIS are thinking about their costumes; but Halloween at UIS has also become an important opportunity for students to contribute to the Springfield community.

We have many students every year who participate in "Trick or Treat for Canned Goods, " a project to benefit the Central Illinois Foodbank. Unfortunately, hunger is a reality for many families in Central Illinois and earlier this week, UIS students visited neighborhoods throughout the area distributing door hangers explaining the project to community residents and requesting their participation. On October 31st, from 4:30-8 p.m., our students will return to these neighborhoods to collect non-perishable food items that will be donated to the Central Illinois Foodbank.

I'm already assembling my contribution and looking forward to students' stopping by in my neighborhood. The UIS goal is to collect more than 7,000 pounds of food, and I have full confidence that we will reach our goal. Happy Halloween, everyone!