Thursday, November 29, 2012

UIS is global!

I had a fascinating conversation this week with UIS international students; Zehra Ozkan Shahidi from Istanbul, Turkey, Yiman Li from Wuhan, China, and Archana Jalamadugu from Chennai, India.  I'm always interested to hear students' stories and it was especially interesting to hear that Zehra, Yiman and Archana were all inspired to study abroad by their parents (especially their strong mothers), who pushed their daughters to grow and try new things.  

I have so much respect for international students and the courage it takes to move to a new culture and face all the day to day challenges such a move brings.  I was pleased to hear that these three exceptional international students are thriving at UIS and very much appreciating the individualized attention that is a hallmark of our faculty.  They also enjoy the "small town" environment of Springfield, having all come from major cities in their home countries.  

International students are a great asset to our university, providing windows into their own cultures at the same time they are experiencing American life.  Thank you Zehra, Yiman, and Archana for a very enjoyable and enlightening conversation!  I appreciate the leadership you are providing here at UIS and look forward to seeing more of you on campus.